Earl Grey and Lemon Cupcakes are like a tea party condensed into a single baked good. With or without the party they are delicious and just right for eating alongside a hot cup of tea (or coffee!) on a chilly morning. The cupcake base is a light and citrus-y lemon cake infused with earl grey tea, and the frosting is a vanilla & earl grey buttercream garnished with lemon zest and loose leaf tea.
We used this loose leaf tea from Amazon but you should be able to find loose leaf earl grey tea in any organic/natural type food store that sells ingredients in bulk. Happy Baking!
- 1c Granulated Sugar
- 1/2c Unsalted Butter- Softened
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2c All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2c Milk
- 1/8c Loose Leaf Earl Grey Tea plus 2Tbsp extra for garnish
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 4c Confectioners Sugar
- 1c Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream sugar and 1/2c of butter. Beat in eggs one at a time and then add 11/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Bring milk to a near boil and add the tea leaves to steep for 4 minutes. Strain milk and discard wet tea leaves. Set aside 2Tbsp of earl grey milk for frosting
- Beat in flour and baking powder. Add Earl Grey milk, lemon juice, and 2Tbsp Lemon Zest.
- Spoon the batter into 24 lined cupcake tins
- Bake in Preheated oven 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- Beat 1c butter with salt, 1Tbsp vanilla extract, and 2 Tbsp Tea milk. Slowly beat in confectioners sugar until smooth. Slowly add gel color with a toothpick to reach desired color.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish with loose leaf tea and lemon zest
♡ This page may contain affiliate links which means that your clicks and purchases help support our digital content at no extra charge to you. We only recommend products that we have tried and love!