After a warm and damp Christmas it seems like winter has finally arrived, along with cold & flu season. It’s below freezing outside and all I’ve wanted to do this week is curl up on the couch with a good book, a Matcha latte and my extremely cuddly puppy.. I can’t seem to shake this subtle feeling that i’m coming down with something of the cold variety. Maybe it’s just the sudden change in weather that’s got me feeling down but I decided to err on the side of caution and brave the freezing weather to pick up a few things that *just might* ward off the common cold. Dark chocolate mandarin oranges seemed like a good idea so I got a few dozen mandarin oranges and some chocolate and set to work.
Mandarin oranges are amazing. I had kind of forgotten about them and they can be pretty hit or miss but i stumbled across these little guys at my local ethnic superstore and whoah.. a perfect fruit, nectar of the gods, etc. Add in chocolate and they are a serious match for pretty much any unhealthy food you put them up against.
So here is a simple 3 ingredient snack recipe full of vitamin C and rich in minerals and antioxidants that will help keep your immune system function optimally as a no nonsense germ destroying machine! These snacks are even new year resolution diet friendly, raw and vegan. What are you waiting for?
Dark Chocolate Mandarin Oranges
- 4 Mandarin Oranges
- 2 oz Dark Chocolate
- Sea Salt
- Peel mandarin oranges and lay the slices out evenly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over med-high heat
- let melted chocolate cool slightly before pouring into a icing bag or a ziploc bag with small opening cut in the corner
- Drizzle chocolate in a zig zag pattern over the orange slices and then sprinkle with sea salt
- Let cool for several hours until the chocolate has completely hardened